Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Make A Wish


Last night - June 16 - I spent my 23rd birthday in our house in Antipolo (as always). Well, it really wasn’t much you know but I was just more than surprised when I realized one thing while blowing the candles on my birthday cake.

It was 11:30 in the evening when my sister Iris lighted the candles on my cute Silvanas cake that I bought at The Shang. I kind of really felt weird because I was thinking that I haven’t really done this for a long time now. I was suddenly back to my childhood for but then I started to hear them sing the Happy Birthday song and so I was jolted out to my reverie. I saw the lights flicker right in front of my eyes and it warmed me. I closed my eyes and began to think of a wish, a wish that I couldn’t really figure out what. As the song ended I was still lost in the darkness of my closed eyes, wishing I could make out a wish even just for this very moment. I kept my eyes tightly shut for over a minute until I’ve completed my wish. I opened my eyes again and saw my entire family clapping. As we were helping ourselves with the main courses is when the feeling starts to get weirder. I found myself childishly smiling at the people around me like a seven year old girl being presented a pile of gifts wrapped in fancy papers only I am no longer a young girl but a grown up lady of 23 and is not presented a pile of gifts wrapped in fancy paper but is moving and breathing right before my very eyes. I took my share of the Roast Chicken and started eating.

I just couldn’t stop about a lot of stuff now really. I can’t help but wonder why I came up with that wish. I kept asking myself, why, of all wishes that I have in my entire existence, in an almost every day of my life, that was the only wish I was able to make?

But this isn't the only thing that's really funny about my birthday but the entire preparation as well. Uhm, well, I'm not sure there really was any preparation at all because I didn't really want them to do anything like that, nor did I show them any sign I want my birthday to even be celebrated.

I started the day at an early 6am departure from home, trying so hard to make it on time for the team brainstorming in Makati which by the way is God's advanced birthday gift to me - a chance at KeywordSpy. Anyway, so it started there. I came to work as if nothing is special about me today and lucky enough because it worked! No one knew about my birthday. On my way home, I texted Papa that I'll be a little late because MRT is just so unbelievably crowded today that I'll be staying at the mall for an hour until the crowd has gone. So I went around Glorietta for awhile (which I had been doing for the almost 3 days in a row). I dropped by Celine and shopped for some attractive pair of flats and went home feeling back to being ordinary again. I was at The Shang when I saw one of the pretties cakes at Silvanas and didn't waste a minute to have it wrapped for me. By this time I'm already feeling more than the ordinary. On my way home I was forever texting my sister as to where's the only restaurant in Antipolo that's still open (because it's almost 10pm), she said KFC near Shopwise and so I asked her to reserve seats or some sort. Getting there in a blaze and finding KFC not as appealing or as tempting I thought it would be was not a surprise to me as if nothing would ever dampen the spirit of the birthday girl except for the rain (oops, that’s just Sam from Lord of the Rings talking from inside of me).

So we’re all home now, my mama, papa my ever so bloated brother Nico and my almost always unpredictable sister Iris who had the most resounding voice at the note of the Happy Birthday song for me.

Well, that was the birthday party. The after-party was back in my room and praying that this day never ends, that I could still have the chance to be an impulsive shopper for a day and spend all the money I have on shoes, bags, cute shirts and pants, that I could always eat cakes and ice creams and spaghettis and Roasted Chicken and drink glasses after glasses of soda, that I could always sleep late at nights and would not mind about tomorrows’ work load, that I could still be a child again presented with gifts wrapped in fancy papers and that I could get another blow on the candle to make a wish

No comments: