Monday, July 28, 2008

Who's Missing?

The entire cast of The Dark Knight on a Black carpet world premier in New York. But what dominates the debut of this film around the globe isn’t just how enigmatically stunning this Christopher Nolan creation is, but the absence of one man whose name will never be forgotten.

Heath Ledger, the Joker.

Why so serious? I remember his famous line as he presses a knife on the face of that gangster. That scene made me cover my eyes and sort of let out a silent scream until I realized I was in a movie theater with an equally horrified friend beside me.

Unlike others, I immediately recognized the man behind the messed up painted clown face and that sinister voice right from the start of the film. It’s definitely him, only scarier. The guy whom I didn’t much liked in Ten Things I Hate About You (because I was too young then and didn’t fancy the long hairdo on guys), the guy who gained my admiration in The Patriot, made me swoon over the knights in A Knight’s Tale, made me fall in love in Casanova, and is now scarring the hell out of me in The Dark Knight.

I am seriously not a fan of him. He’s not even in on my most wanted list of Hollywood Celebrities. But he’s such a loss. I remembered the day I learned of his death still thinking it was some sick joke, but eventually I found out it was true.

Back in the movie house, I wanted to laugh about how funny my reactions and how inexplicably weird I was feeling all throughout the film but the more I stared at the silver screen and face my doom with the madman joker, swoon over Harvey Dent and ride beneath the cape of the Dark Knight, my heart begins to mourn. Every hit and every miss, every twist and every turn, every laugh and every cry, every jump and every blast, every scream and every whisper I look for his face. That’s because I know this would be the last time I’ll ever see him alive. The Last Heath Ledger movie. So I just hid away my heavy heart and sighed as the closing credits comes to an end.

2 comments:

Kc said...

I think the reason why we felt uneasy at the end is because its an indication that: thats it, he's really gone now. nothing more left to see. :|


tara, panoorin ulit natin next week :D

Smart Local Dentist said...

Exactly. I think up until this very day my heart mourns. *sniff sniff*